Deus Legio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see

+12
Igor*
cobRa
Matthew
Kung-Pow
C.O.L.I.N.
Razor
FaT MaN
Shadman
Boomlala
Tony*
Haldir
E-Nig
16 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see - Page 5 Empty Re: Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see

Post by Tony* Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:29 am

maybe because it is more populair and more played then any other sport?
Probably alot of reasons for it. =P
Tony*
Tony*
I have no life
I have no life

Male Number of posts : 8580
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see - Page 5 Empty Re: Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see

Post by Matthew Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:25 am

Boomlala wrote:The protection American football players wear isn't for fun. The wide receivers get a load of big defensive players on them.

And rugby players don't?
Matthew
Matthew

Male Number of posts : 3183
Registration date : 2007-12-05

http://z3.invisionfree.com/jedijunkies/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Haldir Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:49 am

Boomlala wrote:Can we say ad hominem?

Nope, sadly we can't. What I said was in a sincere hope you'll take my advice so as to save yourself from looking like an idiot on future occasions.

The bottom line; English is the most fucked up language in the world. There is only so much you can understand when being taught the language instead of the language being apart of your entire existence.

Haldir
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:04 am

I didn't say it was different from rugby. But they just play a bit safer on that compartiment.

---

So you gave me advice without explicitly stating the advice (like giving the 'big words' I apparently misused). You didn't continue discussing the subject and didn't try to disprove my statements. But instead you directed your attention to my use of big words.

So you changed the subject from the subject at hand to a subject related to me. That's a mild form of an ad hominem argument, I belief.

Since you gave your bottom line, I guess that this rather interesting discussion has come to it's end. Too bad we didn't came to a consensus. I bid you a good afternoon, a good evening, and a good night. (No, that's not a Bruce Almighty quote)

Hail.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Male Number of posts : 7781
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://devnucleus.110mb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony* Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:24 am

Boomlala wrote:I bid you a good afternoon, a good evening, and a good night. (No, that's not a Bruce Almighty quote)
The Truman Show!!! Very Happy
Tony*
Tony*
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:54 am

Haha, fantastic! xD
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony* Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:45 pm

hehe.. it was an emotional movie :'(
The 2nd time I saw it I was still touched by it. Lovely movie.. =)
Tony*
Tony*
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:01 pm

I never get touched by movies.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:06 pm

You are a tough guy

Storm
Councillor
Councillor

Male Number of posts : 4009
Registration date : 2007-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by *Hule* Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:08 pm

Boomlala wrote:I never get touched by movies.

You lack a lot. The experience is much more enjoyable when you get into the feeling.
*Hule*
*Hule*
Master
Master

Male Number of posts : 8809
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:08 pm

Well, there was this one Musti tape I had when I was 6 or something which was very sad to watch.

WHY DID HE HAVE TO LOSE HIS BEAR?
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by *Hule* Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:19 pm

No matter what, we should get back on topic. This is going badly off-rails.
*Hule*
*Hule*
Master
Master

Male Number of posts : 8809

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:22 pm

What WAS the topic?
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Haldir Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:46 pm

Boomlala wrote:So you gave me advice without explicitly stating the advice (like giving the 'big words' I apparently misused). You didn't continue discussing the subject and didn't try to disprove my statements. But instead you directed your attention to my use of big words.

I explained over and over and over, ever opening the explanation in the hopes that you'd understand. Instead, you just continueally restated your facts instead of grasping what I was saying.

So you changed the subject from the subject at hand to a subject related to me. That's a mild form of an ad hominem argument, I belief.

The subject, the entire time, was your inability to understand what I was trying to say. Ad hominem would only be applicable if I was genuinely attacking you person. Instead, I advised you to avoid using big words in which you can confuse yourself and others with the meaning you are trying to get across. Never tell me what I'm doing.

Since you gave your bottom line, I guess that this rather interesting discussion has come to it's end. Too bad we didn't came to a consensus. I bid you a good afternoon, a good evening, and a good night. (No, that's not a Bruce Almighty quote)

The discussion was finished before it began. As I was talking about in my final point, trying to explain the fucked up ways of English to an "ESL student" is impossible due to the way linguistics is taught in different cultures.

Haldir
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:58 pm

So it was miscommunication all along. And...

you just continueally restated your facts instead of grasping what I was saying

You said I was busy looking at definitions of words, while you were doing word analysis of some sort (foot+ball thing) and deriving your conclusion from such analysis. Okay, I said, and in my last post, I did my word analysis in a manner similar to yours (I think), and then you surprised me with the 'big words' argument, which (to me) came out of nowhere.

And you keep being vague about which big words you are referring to. Enlighten me, please?

he subject, the entire time, was your inability to understand what I was trying to say

I thought the subject was the usage of the terms football and soccer.

As I was talking about in my final point, trying to explain the fucked up ways of English to an "ESL student" is impossible due to the way linguistics is taught in different cultures

Elaborate. Seeing that I learn 5 languages, I am interested to know the differences in linguistical education.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony* Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:26 pm

my ffs emoticon doesn't work.. Sad
Tony*
Tony*
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Boomlala! Quit it! Already!

Storm
Councillor
Councillor

Male Number of posts : 4009
Registration date : 2007-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:22 am

Sad

lol

Who Else But Boomlala?

There is an alliteration in there too. Smile
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Haldir Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:50 am

Boomlala wrote:So it was miscommunication all along. And...

you just continueally restated your facts instead of grasping what I was saying

You said I was busy looking at definitions of words, while you were doing word analysis of some sort (foot+ball thing) and deriving your conclusion from such analysis. Okay, I said, and in my last post, I did my word analysis in a manner similar to yours (I think), and then you surprised me with the 'big words' argument, which (to me) came out of nowhere.

Yes, I totally said you were busying looking at word definitions. No I didn't?

And you keep being vague about which big words you are referring to. Enlighten me, please?

Are you serious?

he subject, the entire time, was your inability to understand what I was trying to say

I thought the subject was the usage of the terms football and soccer.

It WAS until until it was apparent you weren't comprehending the argument fairly early on.

Elaborate. Seeing that I learn 5 languages, I am interested to know the differences in linguistical education.

Point in case on how you used linguistics. There is only so much you can learn through being taught vs. growing up with the language, as I already said once.

Haldir
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:00 am

This is the last time I'll probably post anymore in this discussion, because it really has grinded to its halt.

Yes, I totally said you were busying looking at word definitions. No I didn't?

You KNOW the definitions of soccer and football, so calling one more ambiguous than the other BASED on those definitions doesn't work.

That's what I meant.

Soccer is a completely random word. There is literally no possible connection between the word and what it could mean

That is false. I gave the relation of soccer and football in an earlier post. If you don't know where a word comes from, you cannot fully judge it's ambiguity. In my point of view. If you look at the relations of the words (your manner, as opposed to my 'definition' style), soccer is still less ambiguous. I will quote:

- football refers to ball sports played with the foot: this means soccer (obviously) and rugby and American football (both games feature kicking)
- soccer refers to asSOCiation football as some kind of abbreviation (like said), and there is only one type of association football: soccer.

Do note that I still think (but not really know for sure) ambiguity has more to do with definitions of words than their origin. But in both cases I have shown my reasoning why soccer is less ambiguous than football.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by E-Nig Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:18 am

Wow are you fucking kidding me...
E-Nig
E-Nig
Spammer
Spammer

Male Number of posts : 3875

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:58 am

Completely.

I live to serve. Smile

EDIT:

Besides, this is the greatest off-topic spin I ever created. My opus.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony* Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Boomlala wrote:Besides, this is the greatest off-topic spin I ever created. My opus.
Didn't know I would actually say this to a fellow forum visiter but.. get a life! Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see - Page 5 36116
Tony*
Tony*
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Heh, I couldn't have done it without Matthew and Hal-Hal. Credit is due to them.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony* Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:09 pm

I still got more posts then you! bounce
Tony*
Tony*
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next