Deus Legio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see

+12
Igor*
cobRa
Matthew
Kung-Pow
C.O.L.I.N.
Razor
FaT MaN
Shadman
Boomlala
Tony*
Haldir
E-Nig
16 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see - Page 8 Empty Re: Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see

Post by Boomlala Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:57 pm

Then I am sorry, apparently I have no fucking idea what ambiguity is. I always thought it meant "to have different meanings depending on context and interpretation", not "unclear etymological relation to what it refers to".

Hmm, how odd, the dictionary makes the same error. So does Wikipedia. So does my programming book. Guess this is one huge cover-up of the government.

Give me a break. I have clear knowledge of what ambiguity is. Where a word originates from or how it was constructed has nothing to do with it's ambiguity.

Point in casa: biweekly. Every two weeks or twice in a week. The former definition is the same as fortnightly. You can clearly see where biweekly comes from, fortnightly is not so clear. Yet fortnightly is less ambiguous.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Male Number of posts : 7781
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://devnucleus.110mb.com

Back to top Go down

Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see - Page 8 Empty Re: Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see

Post by *Hule* Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Boomlala wrote:
Football gives me the impression of people playing ball with their feet. Soccer gives me the impression of a stupid word without meaning. That's how I see it, at least.

True, but that doesn't have anything to do with ambiguity..

I would say that the sentence above sums up the 'ambiguity' in this football conversation.
*Hule*
*Hule*
Master
Master

Male Number of posts : 8809
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:47 pm

The problem is: soccer IS related to association football. And it means nothing else but association football. Football references to many different sports, and depending on the context wherein it is used, it means something else. How can you still say soccer is more ambiguous?
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by E-Nig Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:04 pm

C2G Shadman133 wrote:Its also ran with your feet..

And you can kick the ball during a Field Goal Extra Point or Punt the ball...And after every Touchdown

Can you use your hands?

THEN WHY NOT CALL IT HANDFOOTBALL YOU DUMB FUCKING BASTARDS
E-Nig
E-Nig
Spammer
Spammer

Male Number of posts : 3875

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:07 pm

Because sport names need to have only 2 syllables, otherwise the jocks may not remember the name of their sport.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by E-Nig Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:10 pm

Golf has 1 syllable.
Elephant Polo 5 or 4
E-Nig
E-Nig
Spammer
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:19 pm

The first is played by snobs, they are only capable of remembering one syllable.

The second one, never heard of it.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Huni Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:31 am

Boomlala wrote:Then I am sorry, apparently I have no fucking idea what ambiguity is. I always thought it meant "to have different meanings depending on context and interpretation", not "unclear etymological relation to what it refers to".

Hmm, how odd, the dictionary makes the same error. So does Wikipedia. So does my programming book. Guess this is one huge cover-up of the government.

Give me a break. I have clear knowledge of what ambiguity is. Where a word originates from or how it was constructed has nothing to do with it's ambiguity.

Point in casa: biweekly. Every two weeks or twice in a week. The former definition is the same as fortnightly. You can clearly see where biweekly comes from, fortnightly is not so clear. Yet fortnightly is less ambiguous.

what the f u c k did he say there?
Huni
Huni

Male Number of posts : 7436
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by *Hule* Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:12 am

A foreigner like myself couldn't possibly know that "soccer" means "association football" or what ever. I think that's an American abbrevation, and once again the Americans have failed. Razz

Speaking of 'football' it's clear from the beginning: Foot --> ball --> kick. A dude with a suckier skills of English and knowledge about these things would get the picture in a second.

But anyways what fucking idea there is in this argument? If you go to America you know what you're spoken to when speaking of 'football' and 'soccer'.
If you go to Britain you know what means 'football' and 'soccer'.
*Hule*
*Hule*
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:25 am

"I play football."

In this sentence, you don't know what exact sport I'm playing. You need context (like nationality for example) to fully understand the sentence. Agreed?

"I play soccer."

In this sentence, my meaning is completely clear, wether you do or do not know how soccer is related to association football. There is no confusion. Agreed?

Ergo, since football requires (more) context than soccer, football is more ambiguous.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by *Hule* Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:36 am

Not necessarily, if someone doesn't know what soccer means. The picture is clear that you're playing soccer, but it's a mystery that what sport it is. And you define it like this: "It's football".

I get your point though, but I'd say the context is usually clear when you're chatting with someone from the USA/UK anyways.
*Hule*
*Hule*
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:44 am

Ofcourse, in order for my examples to work, you need to know the words I use. But that is besides the point of ambiguity.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Huni Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:30 am

I play football.

I kick the bal with my feet.....passing or shooting woot ever.....k?

Leave soccer alone.....that wird sucks...american's r tards
Huni
Huni

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:04 am

This isn't a discussion about which word we should use or which word is 'better'. Just a discussion wether football is more ambiguous than soccer (or vice versa).
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by *Hule* Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:11 am

I'd say football is less ambiguous, as the meaning is clear. You play ball with your feet (as I mentioned earlier). The Americans have just made it sound ambiguous by starting to call a game of which rules have only a little to do with really playing with feet by the name of football.

C'mon, what's that all about? Start a hand-ball and call it football, then call the real football by the name of soccer.
Idiotic, if you ask me.
*Hule*
*Hule*
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:15 am

But football, like it or not, can be interpreted as different sports. If I say "I play football", you don't know what sport I'm playing. Only when you put it in a context, you can see the exact meaning of my sentence. (e.g. "I play football in the keeper position") Soccer doesn't have such a restriction on it's usage, since it only refers to one sport. Ambiguity has NOTHING to do wether the word is properly named after it's meaning (~ American football), but solely wether or not a word can mean different things depending on the context. Football can mean different things (the inaccurate name notwithstanding), soccer does not.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Haldir Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:43 am

Boomlala wrote:Ofcourse, in order for my examples to work, you need to know the words I use. But that is besides the point of ambiguity.

That's exactly where you're going wrong! When you're looking at the words in question, you forget the definitions, you're just looking at the context of how the words are used in order to find it's meaning.

Haldir
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:33 am

When you're looking at the words in question, you forget the definitions, you're just looking at the context of how the words are used in order to find it's meaning.

You lost me completely.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by E-Nig Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Boomlala wrote:This isn't a discussion about which word we should use or which word is 'better'. Just a discussion wether football is more ambiguous than soccer (or vice versa).

Actually its a fucking discussion about how this is the greatest fucking game of football ever.
E-Nig
E-Nig
Spammer
Spammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:24 pm

well said
Matthew
Matthew

Male Number of posts : 3183
Registration date : 2007-12-05

http://z3.invisionfree.com/jedijunkies/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:00 pm

That's the thread's subject, but I've skillfully hijacked it.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Huni Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Man Utd-Inter? will be?

or L'pool-Real Madrid?
Huni
Huni

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:07 pm

The first one.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadman Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:08 pm

E-Nig wrote:

And you can kick the ball during a Field Goal Extra Point or Punt the ball...And after every Touchdown

Can you use your hands?

Funny you can use your hands for certain things in Soccer too...Dumbass
Shadman
Shadman

Male Number of posts : 1923
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Huni Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:10 pm

C2G Shadman133 wrote:
E-Nig wrote:

Can you use your hands?

Funny you can use your hands for certain things in Soccer too...Dumbass

as far as I know only the goalkeepers use there hands :\
if a player's hadn touches the ball is hands or yellow/red card.
Huni
Huni

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next