Deus Legio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see

+12
Igor*
cobRa
Matthew
Kung-Pow
C.O.L.I.N.
Razor
FaT MaN
Shadman
Boomlala
Tony*
Haldir
E-Nig
16 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see - Page 7 Empty Re: Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see

Post by Tony* Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:38 am

FOOTBALL
Tony*
Tony*
I have no life
I have no life

Male Number of posts : 8580
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see - Page 7 Empty Re: Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see

Post by *Hule* Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:53 pm

For goddesses' sakes..

Greatest fucking game of football you will ever see - Page 7 584852230tt8
*Hule*
*Hule*
Master
Master

Male Number of posts : 8809
Registration date : 2007-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:26 pm

loool so true

Storm
Councillor
Councillor

Male Number of posts : 4009
Registration date : 2007-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Haldir Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Boomlala wrote:Yet, they know what soccer is. No confusion.

You're proving my point exactly. (not the point about asSoc) You do not need to know word origins to define one word's ambiguity, seeing how soccer is a crystal clear word: if you say soccer, people will know exactly what you're thinking of. When you say football, it can depend on the culture they're in. Americans will think about American football. British people will think about soccer. Irishmen may even think about their Gaelic variant.

Thus word origin has no role in ambiguity. Only its definitions.

Yet another post in which you've completely failed to understand what's being spelled out for you.Word origination had nothing to do with their ambiguity, and I never said so. Let me try explaining it differently.

When you are describing something as ambiguous, you don't take the word/phrase in question and see how many different definitions/meanings it has, nor do you apply it directly to it's definitions. What you do, is take the word/phrase and apply it into it's situational use in order discern it's clarity. Hopefully that makes more sense for you.

Haldir
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:40 am

What you do, is take the word/phrase and apply it into it's situational use in order discern it's clarity.

1)

"Hey, Boyle, my fellow testosteron-fuelled high school jock buddy, let's play some FOOTBALL! And then watch some FOOTBALL! With beer!"

American Boyle: "Awesome, Gary, I'll be quarterback!" <takes egg-shaped ball and passes like Dan Marino>

English Boyle: "What a splendid idea, Gary, I'll be the keeper!" <takes keeper gloves>

2)

"Hey, Boyle, my fellow testosteron-fuelled high school jock buddy, let's play some SOCCER! And then watch some SOCCER! With beer!"

American Boyle: "Soccer? That's a lame ass sport!"

English Boyle: "What a splendid idea, Gary, I'll be the keeper!" <takes keeper gloves>

-----

My over-exaggerated, yet crystal clear situational description of what I mean.

In the first situation, we use football: the American will probably think about the American version with quarterbacks, wide receivers and running backs. The English person will think about soccer. In the second situation, both the American Boyle as the English Boyle know what is referred to: association football.

QED
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Male Number of posts : 7781
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://devnucleus.110mb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadman Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:58 am

Haldir give up you lost bud...
Shadman
Shadman

Male Number of posts : 1923
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:59 am

schh don't interrupt

Storm
Councillor
Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadman Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:05 am

f u c k off Emi.
Shadman
Shadman

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:07 am

Not necesarry

Storm
Councillor
Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadman Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:16 am

Yes it is...
Shadman
Shadman

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthew Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:03 am

Dem you're a cunt.
Burn.

Everyone thinks it, they just won't say it.
You never have anything positive to say, ever.
Matthew
Matthew

Male Number of posts : 3183

http://z3.invisionfree.com/jedijunkies/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadman Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:05 am

Burn?Actually that felt really cold.
Shadman
Shadman

Back to top Go down

Post by E-Nig Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:12 am

Uh boom...no one in england says soccer...so your examples are fail.

And Dem ALWAYS needs someone to back him up in an argument or else he looks like a complete and utter twat.
E-Nig
E-Nig
Spammer
Spammer

Male Number of posts : 3875

Back to top Go down

Post by Gäst Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:13 am

haldir lose?, NO WAY

Gäst

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:13 am

AND THE THREAD CONTINUES TO LIVE!
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:14 am

Uh boom...no one in england says soccer...so your examples are fail.

OFCOURSE, but complete besides the point. If you WOULD say soccer, people would understand you. Crystal clear.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by *Hule* Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57 pm

^ Never use a "would" in the same sentence with "if".

Anyway if you're American and go to England or the other way around I'm sure you'll get your point clear even though the other says "soccer" and the other "football".
Just define a bit more which one you mean by "football" and that's it.

Of course if you know you're going to have a discussion with an American person while being British yourself, or the the other way around, you'll certainly get to know some basic stuff first, like what this sport in question is called in that country. =P
*Hule*
*Hule*
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:06 pm

True, but that doesn't change the fact one word is more ambiguous than the other, since football relies on the context wherein it is used, while soccer is always the same.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by *Hule* Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:38 pm

Football gives me the impression of people playing ball with their feet. Soccer gives me the impression of a stupid word without meaning. That's how I see it, at least.

Also speaking of American Football, 'football' is a misleading word to discribe the sport since, according to my knowledge, the ball is kicked only when the game begins and in case of a free kick. Otherwise it's thrown around.
Thus, this sport is often called just "American" here.
*Hule*
*Hule*
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadman Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Its also ran with your feet..

And you can kick the ball during a Field Goal Extra Point or Punt the ball...And after every Touchdown
Shadman
Shadman

Back to top Go down

Post by Huni Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:16 pm

still.....for Fagman.....football stay's in England.....and there football.......I think that "football' should be called american football by all peeps....so it wouldn't be fights.....honestly I don't care Razz

we hungarians just say foci amen to that!
Huni
Huni

Male Number of posts : 7436
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadman Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:18 pm

Like I said your comebacks suck..
Shadman
Shadman

Back to top Go down

Post by Huni Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:24 pm

woot ever!
I didn't have the intention of picking a fight here so chill.....just go to nonsense please!
Huni
Huni

Male Number of posts : 7436
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Boomlala Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:26 pm

Football gives me the impression of people playing ball with their feet. Soccer gives me the impression of a stupid word without meaning. That's how I see it, at least.

True, but that doesn't have anything to do with ambiguity. When I say soccer, you instantly know what I'm talking about, so you don't need to know where the word comes from.
Boomlala
Boomlala
I have no life
I have no life

Back to top Go down

Post by Haldir Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Boomlala wrote:

True, but that doesn't have anything to do with ambiguity.

LOL! YES IT DOES! Christ, your thick head cannot wrap around what people are smacking you in the face with if your life depended upon it.

Haldir
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next